Langkawi Day Cruises - Shared & Private
This is a day long sailing cruises on a beautiful recreational yacht. There are several operators in Langkawi who offer day cruises on their sailing yachts on sharing basis with per person rates which are quite affordable for all. There are also operators who offer chartered or private yachts for such day cruises for small private groups or special occasions like wedding party, honeymoon etc. Depending on the size of the yacht, number of persons on board can be from 10 to 50 (or even more for very large yachts).
In sharing day cruises, the rates vary from RM350 to RM400 per person because the finer designs of the tours vary a little depending on the operator, although the key attractions remain the same. For private day long cruises, the base rates start from RM2,750 which includes the yacht, crew & fuel, but you will need to add separate charges for the guests for food and sightseeing.
The day cruise duration is usually for 6 hours and starts at 10am in the morning. Some operators sail for 7 hours. Here are the main highlights of day cruises in Langkawi:
1) The cruises leave from different docks depending on the operator. Crystal Yacht Holidays, Tropical Charters etc depart from the dock of Awana Porto Malai Resort (now known as Resorts World Langkawi) located at the southern end of Pantai Tengah. Damai Indah and Blue Water Star Sailing operate from Royal Langkawi Yacht Club in Kuah located in south east, Stardust operates from Kilim Jetty located at the north east of Langkawi.
2) You will be navigating around many different islands. Along the way soft music is played and you can either relax on the deck, read a book, chat with the friendly captain & the crew or even have a party of your own. If you so desire, you can even try your hand sailing the yacht in safe waters by taking the helm and pulling the lines under the guidance of the crew though.
3) As you sail along, you will see many different flora & fauna on the way. There are good chances that dolphins will give you company on the water, you can often see the bizarre flying fish, and of course the golden brown eagles swooping down from the sky and splashing on the water for their catch. Wonderful sights ... lots of photo opportunities.
Sailing Cruise Langkawi, View from the deck
So get your camera. If you are sailing towards the southern islands, you will likely pass by the island Pulau Dayang Bunting and see the famous Lake of the Pregnant Woman
. For this you will need to take a cruise that sails from the dock of Resorts World Langkawi (formerly known as Awana Porto Malai Resort).
4) They will lower the rope net into the water and tow it. Sitting on the net with a drink in your hand and enjoying the Jacuzzi effect of the sea is an amazing experience.
5) Free flow of drinks offered all through the trip which includes both alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages like cocktails, wine, beer, spirits and cold drinks. They also serve snacks.
6) Finally you will come to a secluded beach in an uninhabited island. Here there can be multitude of activities that you can pursue. Either take a kayak and explore the water area. Or take a refreshing swim from the lovely beach, or just relax on the beach and read a book while lying on a hammock and enjoy the magnificent views.
7) From the beach, you can also take an easy stroll to explore the rainforest in the island and its many different flora, animal & bird life. You are likely to spot wild boars, many monkeys, monitor lizards, squirrels and many other interesting animal life here.
Lunch on the deck
8) Between November to May, the operators arrange for a buffet barbecue lunch at the beach under canopies or shady trees. The crew prepare the dishes on board from fresh ingredients. The lunch usually includes different types of fresh salads and main courses comprising of chicken, fish, prawns, imported meat and several vegetable items.
Between June to October, the same barbecue lunch is served on the deck because the ocean and beach conditions may not be suitable.
9) Note that the cruise of Damai Indah has a slightly different design of the day cruise. The cruise leaves at 2pm and returns at 8pm serving both lunch and dinner. In lunch they serve Tapas items. Since they leave from Kuah, they drop anchor at Pulau Timun island located in north east of Langkawi where you can engage in similar beachside activities.
They also take you to another scenic area protected by three islands and close to Thailand. This area once used to be a pirates' hideaway. This trip also combines the magnificent sunset view on its return. The rates are higher too.
The Stardust cruise leaves from Kilim Jetty at the north east of Langkawi. Their day cruise known as Day Eco Adventure Excursion is designed quite differently. They combine a one hour speed boat safari of the Kilim Geopark & Mangroves
as part of the cruise. You will also kayak or take a small boat to reach a place known as Pirate Lagoon
where some 1000 years back the pirates used to hide gold which they collected by robbing the merchants. Another highlight of this trip is getting to the Sand Spit, a beautiful thin strip of sandy beach which has water on both sides. This strip of sand connects two islands and is surrounded by magnificent limestone cliffs. It is probably the most beautiful & scenic beach and location in Langkawi.
10) Most operators arrange for hotel transfers including pickups and drops (but not all like Rampant Sailing). The hotel transfers are usually included in the rates. However additional charges apply for transfers from/to The Datai, The Andaman, Tanjung Rhu and Four Seasons Resorts.
Langkawi Top Day Cruises
Day cruise is offered by most yacht operators in Langkawi. Some of the top ones includes Crystal Yacht, Tropical Charters, Damai Indah, Blue Water Star Sailing, and Stardust.
Share your experience.